Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Goonies .... again?

If you ask me what I remember most of my childhood, I'd probably list you a bunch of movies. I never had the chance to travel, never had much adventures. Movies were a form of escape from my boring existence. I lived my life vicariously through others, and by others, I mean movie characters.

I spent a lot of my time in front of the gogglebox. And occasionally, I get a special movie treat to the theatres. It was always so fun, to sit in a big, dark room or in front of the TV for a couple of hours, entranced at the display of colorful motion in front of me. My heart would beat very fast when the people onscreen were fearing for their lives, huddled on a tiny raft, and when the sinister music picks up and the giant shark lept out of the water, my heart felt like leaping out of my body. I'd experienced waves of emotions when I found out who really is Luke Skywalker's father. And I remember my joy when E.T. finally went home.

And one of the movies I remember vividly was The Goonies.

Boy did those kids have fun. They are tight, they go out to play often and ended up having the biggest adventure of their lives. I've since watched that movie a ga-zillion times. Ok, I exaggerate, but it was truly one of my favorite movies.

So you can imagine my elation when I picked up the 20th anniversary edition of Empire magazine and flipped to a page that reads " Goonies Special- Where are they now?"

Transported to my childhood, rightaway.

I love Empire. The crew went into months of research and planning to pull together ALL the cast, as well as writer Steven Spielberg and Director Richard Donner.




The Goonies are all grown up now.

Through the years, I've often wondered what happened to the cast. I remember seeing Data (Ke Huy Quan) in Encino Man and that was it the last I've seen of him. And then of course, Sean Astin found himself back into the limelight as Samwise Gamgee in LOTR. I saw Martha Plimpton in a couple of movies and Josh Brolin never went away.

The article gave an update of the bunch. Definitely brought back waves of nostalgia. In the interview, a couple of the stars mentioned that they still get asked about The Goonies, because this is one movie that represented an era in their lives. I couldn't agree more.

Well, here's an update of the cast. In general, most of the cast are in one way or another, still in the entertainment industry, except for Jeff Cohen, or "Chunk".

A chubby grubby boy back then, Cohen uhnderwent the biggest transformation, physically as well as professionally.

Cohen now runs a thriving law firm.

Quan is currently developing a New York-based film and hopes to be in the director's seat.

Kerri Green, the belle, is making a comeback to the industry, she'll appear in the indie movie, Complacent.

Sean Astin needs no update, we've all seen quite a bit of him over the years.

Now Corey Feldman... he's all set to star in and produce The Lost Boys 3, and has released a new album with his band Truth Movement.

Martha Plimpton is now a shimmering star on Broadway, and Josh Brolin, as we all know, was recently nominated for an Oscar this year.

I searched Empire Online and found a video of their reunion. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: